When backpacking it is crucial to have a good first aid kit that you’ll be able to use at any time when you’re in trouble. I’m a paramedic and have had to rescue people that have gotten stuck on a backpacking trip and they don’t have a first aid kit or any emergency supplies.
Here’s a list of things I would recommend for your kit. Keep in mind that depending on the length of your trip is how many of each thing you should bring.
- waterproof bag or box to put everything in
- various sizes of band-aids
- a tensor bandage
- medical tape
- pressure dressing (large and small)
- triangular bandage
- water purification tablets (even if you bring a water purifier you should have a backup)
- mole skin (to apply to blisters)
- an anti-histamine (like Benadryl)
- anti bacterial soap
- sun screen
- emergency blanket
- multi tool with knife
- a compass
- matches in a water-proof container
- medical scissors
- a needle and thread
- duct tape
- a power bar
I hope that you will never need to use your first aid kit, but if you do having everything on this list should enable you to get to safety.